Who May Apply

High school seniors from Kalamazoo Public Schools and seniors from other high schools or home school programs who will earn certificates of completion from the Kalamazoo Area Math and Science Center (KAMSC) are eligible to apply for Heyl Scholarships to Kalamazoo College or the WMU Bronson School of Nursing. Alumnae of KPS (any year) or of other eligible programs (class of 2009 or later) are also eligible to apply but if a substantial length of time has elapsed between high school graduation and application, recent post-secondary coursework and evaluations may be required.

For Heyl Fellowships to Yale University, any graduate of Kalamazoo College who has majored in one of the exact sciences and plans to enter a graduate program in certain chemistry-related disciplines at Yale may apply. Preference is given to those applicants graduating with a Chemistry major.

Competitive Applicants

The successful candidate for a Heyl Scholarship to Kalamazoo College or the WMU Bronson School of Nursing typically has the following:

  • High school GPA greater than 3.5
  • SAT verbal greater than 500 and SAT math greater than 550 or ACT composite greater than 25
  • Challenging high school curriculum that includes one year each of biology, chemistry, and physics and four years of math
  • An interest in science, math or nursing (as demonstrated by their choice of classes and activities outside of the classroom)
  • Strong writing skills
  • Strong teacher evaluations

Applicants to the WMU Bronson School of Nursing should meet the criteria established for the Medallion Scholarship at WMU.